Alpine Skiing Events Beijing 2022:
Parallel Mixed Team Event
Giant Slalom, Super Combined, Super-G
Giant Slalom, Super Combined, Super-G
Downhill Skiing Event
- Athletes must participate in the official training runs (A minimum of 1 time or more per three days).
- The focus the Downhill event is high speeds.
- Athletes ski on slopes where the grade is between 15-30 degrees at speeds of 90 - 140km. Downhill events require strong mental focus and stamina.
- If athletes properly pass through the all gates on the course, rankings are decided according to the fastest time at the finish line. The athlete's ranking is decided by one single run down the slope.
- This event focuses on speed, with the skier making long turns on the course around the poles (gates). This event requires a combination of speed and technical skills.
- The slope of the Super-G is steeper than the Giant Slalom and also the distance between the gates is greater, at an minimum distance of 25m.
- Similar to Downhill, but unlike Slalom and Giant Slalom, Super Giant Slalom (Super-G) is decided by one single run down the slope.
Giant Slalom Event
- This event is marked by high speeds with the athlete making fast zig-zag turns on the course around the poles (gates).
- Compared to the Slalom event, the distance between the gates is greater by 10m.
- Giant Slalom uses rectangular gate panels which is similar to Downhill and Super-G
- Giant Slalom events have two runs down the slope and this is different than Downhill and the Super-G. In the 2nd run, the top 30 skiers of the first run start in the reverse order with the rest of the group starting from the 31st ranking skier.
- This event features the skier speeding down the slope zig-zaging their way through the indicated gates.
- The number of gates on the course is approximately 55-75 for men and approximately 45-60 for women, depending on the vertical drop of the course.
- The distances between the gates are from a minimum of 75cm to a maximum of 13m.
- Unlike the other speed events (the Downhill and the Super Giant Slalom), the Slalom events have two runs down the slope (1st and 2nd). In the 2nd round the top 30 athletes of the first run start in reverse order (The 30th ranked skier of the first round starts first in the second round).
Alpine Combined Event
- This combined two-discipline event includes one downhill race and one slalom race.
- In this event, a downhill run is followed by a one-run slalom.
- The times of each race are added together and the total time decides the ranking.
National Team Event
- The National Team races will be conducted as parallel events. Giant Slalom gates and flags will be used.
- A team (nation) consists of 4 skiers (2 men and 2 women).
- 16 teams (nations) will compete by single elimination tournament.
Beijing, China : Feb 4 - 20, 2022
Sports Travel & Tickets is your Premium Sports Experience Concierge with more than 35 years experience in delivering unforgettable memories. We provide the very best experiences for discerning individuals and corporate groups. Trust us, we've been there!
Complete Sports Ticket & Travel Packages
Can't find exactly what you are looking for? Have a question about a sports ticket package? Give us a call directly at 317-759-3002 or 888-885-3132. We are happy to help!
“Your company made our visit to both Sochi and Vancouver a truly amazing experience. We took our parents because they had never been to the Olympics and it was the best vacation of our lives. Thank you so much! We can't wait for Beijing in 2022 because this time our children are old enough to go and we want this to be a family tradition.”
Our Clients Include ....
Alpine skiing is comprised of mainly two types of disciplines: speed (velocity) events and the technical (skills) events. The speed events are called Downhill and Super-G, and the technical events are Giant Slalom and Slalom. Additionally, there is one other event called Alpine Combined that is a combination of Downhill and Slalom. If you would like to impress your friends and family while watching the Alpine Skiing events during winter olympics coverage you can tell them that events based on average speed, the order is Downhill->Super-G->Giant Slalom->Slalom, but if we list them according to the number of the gates they are listed in the opposite way. Slalom takes place on a more narrow mountain course that requires short and quick turns. Giant Slalom course is organized on a course that has more wide and open Slalom widths. For the courses of the Super-G and the Slalom, the turns are small, and wide gates are installed in some sections. In the Downhill competition, the average speed of the athletes is approximately 100km per hour.
Alpine skiing among the competitions at every Winter Olympics since 1936, when a combined alpine event was held in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.
Beginning in 1948 and lasting through 1980, the Winter Olympics doubled as the World Championships in Olympic years, with separate competitions held in the even-numbered non-Olympic years. During these off-years, the Olympic medalists received an additional medal in bronze, silver or gold from the International Ski Federation (FIS). The giant slalom was introduced at the Olympics in 1952. At the Olympics from 1956 through 1980, World Championship medals were awarded by the FIS in the combined event. It returned as a stand-alone event (one downhill run, two slalom runs) at the Olympics in 1988, which also debuted the one-run Super-G. The combined event was run on an FIS points system at the Olympics through 1992, then was changed to total time of the three separate runs. The super combined debuted in 2010, which reduced the slalom portion to one run and the event to one day.
The World Championships changed in 1985 and have been scheduled each odd-numbered year, separate of the Winter Olympics. At the World Championships, the combined returned as a stand-alone event in 1982 and the Super-G debuted in 1987.
Sports Travel & Tickets is not affiliated with the IOC, the Beijing Organizing Committee or any other ticketing agency. The Beijing 2022 Winter Olympic Games official site is www.beijing2022.cn. If and when available, individual tickets can be purchased separately from the Beijing 2022 website. Sports Travel & Tickets is a full-service hospitality and package provider. We offer services that are not available from the Beijing 2022 website or the IOC.